Thursday, July 2, 2020

Not Totally Crazy

It was one of the coolest places I visited as feature reporter for the morning show. La Papeterie Saint-Armand produced the most amazing handmade paper – out of the most amazing stuff! The Montreal company by the Lachine Canal transformed linen, flax, denim and shredded cash. Co-owner Denise Lapointe was fun to interview, knowledgeable, with a sense of humour.

Their website says they are open to the public three days a week. If you appreciate paper or industrial history, La Papeterie is definitely worth a visit, once this pandemic is past. They have an amazing assortment of papers and impressive machines from a bygone era.

Since I had seen paper made out of blue jeans, I imagined that blue jeans could very well be made out of paper. There are companies that make polar fleece from plastic bottles!


I got a pair of jeans for Christmas. The tag attached to the jeans advertised, “100% Recycled Paper”. For several minutes, I believed the jeans I had been given were made out of recycled paper. People thought I was nuts! I blame La Papeterie Saint-Armand. It may have been 15 years ago, but with my own eyes, I saw paper made from blue jeans, so my imagination allowed for the possibility jeans could be made from paper.

So what is the tag in the photo referring to – the tag itself? I guess that’s the only possible conclusion. Hardly as exciting as mine.

In my own defense, there is a Swedish denim company that incorporates paper in its jeans. I’m not totally crazy.



No comments:

Post a Comment