Saturday, April 1, 2023

Bound to Happen

I will accept that it was bound to happen, although, darn it, we were doing so well.

I felt fine as I eagerly went off to ball hockey the night of March 13th. As a rule,

I try not to eat too much beforehand, so that I’m less likely to resemble a bloated hippo as I play. 

 

About halfway through the game, my energy sagged seriously, I felt lightheaded and as though I might fall asleep while waiting for my next shift. I ended up leaving early but was hit by an intense cold chill as I stepped outside.

 

By the time I had reached home, the car was toasty warm so I continued to drive around just to delay having to climb out of the car and into the cold again.

 

When I finally did go home, I thought I would regain some energy by eating but I soon discovered I had no appetite. A hot shower did little to ease the uncontrollable shivering.


Wouldn’t you know it, Susan tested positive for COVID and I did a short time later. My son also developed symptoms. It was the first time any of us had contracted the virus.

 

My main symptoms were intense cold chills, general aching, a loss of appetite and some coughing. My son also manifested cold chills, along with a persistent sore throat. Susan had nasty and prolonged bouts of intense coughing, along with general aches, sniffles, headaches and chills. Both my son and Susan reported a diminished sense of taste and all of us seem to have lingering occasional coughs.

 

I didn’t eat much for the week that followed and tended to have chills at night.

 

To improve our nights, my son and I tried cough syrup but, far easier than ingesting two consecutive spoonfuls, was putting the stuff in shot glasses and downing the recommended dose in a quick gulp. We’re practical people.


The next Monday, March 20th, I wanted to play ball hockey and though I had tested negative earlier in the day, going to the supermarket proved exhausting. I decided I didn’t have the energy to play.

 

I returned to ball hockey the following Monday. Some of the other players asked why I had left early two weeks ago. When I explained I had COVID, some of them began sharing their stories, and the stories of their loved ones who had caught the virus.

 

The stark numbers show COVID is not a thing to mess around with and even now, even for the vaccinated, it is quite an ordeal for many people.

 

All in all, thankfully, we didn’t do too badly. I’m sure the vaccinations helped.

 

We determined Susan brought the virus home after getting it from a fellow fitness instructor where she works.

 

I suppose. 

 

It was bound to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment