Friday, August 17, 2012

Does Not Compute

I used to play the “Rock Band” video games with my son and nephews and nieces! They appear to have grown out of it, although I miss it. It was great fun and kind of awesome because as I learned rock songs by newer bands, they were learning to appreciate mandatory classics like Deep Purple’s “Highway Star” and Aerosmith’s “Walk This Way”!

It’s amazing how creative technology is allowing different generations to share music!

Earlier this month, I was rinsing grapes in the kitchen sink when I heard something odd coming from the living room. I turned off the tap to listen and sure enough, Tristan was singing the song, “Big Spender”.

Dazed and confused, I staggered to where he was sitting with his headphones on and demanded an explanation, “Why are you singing that song?”  What I meant to ask was how did he know that song, but I wasn’t thinking straight. I knew the Peggy Lee version, recorded in 1966.

He explained excerpts of “Big Spender” were used in the song he knew by Bramzwig.

I had a similar stunner moment earlier this summer.

At one point, driving back from our summer vacation in Florida last month, I realized that as I was singing along to “Hotel California” on the radio, Tristan was singing the words to the verse right along with me!

My mind, in bright red letters, repeatedly flashed the message, "Does not compute. Does not compute."

I stopped singing and as I stared straight ahead out the window, I tried to figure out what was wrong with the picture. It took me a few seconds to realize my brain was being jarred by the fact my 17 year old son was singing to a song from 1977!

Frazzled, I slowly turned and, eerily, looked at him. Hoping for a logical explanation, I asked, “How do you know that song?”

He told me “Hotel California” was sampled in a song by one of his favorite artists, Chris Webby.

“Cool”, I said and we kept singing; “So I called up the captain, please bring me my wine...”

No comments:

Post a Comment